|GENSPLODER OF THE MONTH|
Would you like to incorporate some challenges into your gensplosion recs? Would you like a sweet tag of your own? Would you like to earn some graphics which prove you're a hardcore gensploder? Because, hooray! Now you can!
|HOW DOES THIS EVEN WORK?|
• Sign up by indicating your preferred month in the comments below. One of the mods will give you the go ahead and confirm you're 'locked in' for that month. THE PENALTY FOR BACKING OUT INVOLVES OMINOUS STORM CLOUDS AND BOOMING THUNDER AND YOU DON'T EVEN WANT TO KNOW WHAT ELSE.
lol jk, real life happens and if you have to back out, just let us know.
• At the beginning of your selected month, your challenge begins! You are totally in control of what your 'challenge' is. Do you want to post nothing but found family fics? You can! Do you want to post a total of 20 recs in all different fandoms? You can! Do you want to post nothing but obscure alternate universe fics where the main characters are badass time travelers who solve crime in the old west? You can!
• You have a full month to post as many recs as you want/as you can. The only thing the recs NEED to be is gen. You don't have to stick to a theme, you don't have to do anything special, and you don't need to post a minimum number of recs. Please keep our everyday RULES in mind when you post, and you'll be fine.
• At the end of the month, one of the mods will post a big shiny post just for you with a neat little (or big, depending on how keen you are to rec the heck out of your fandoms) post of rewards.
|YOU SAID SOMETHING ABOUT REWARDS?|
There are four levels of achievement:
BRONZE: 3-4 recs
SILVER: 5-10 recs
GOLD: 11-15 recs
DIAMOND: 16+ recs
• You can win rewards for different themes as well as total number of recs. For example, for the entire month, you might post 20 recs, which will earn you a Diamond reward, but you might also win Gold for time travel recs, Silver for recs containing the one character, and a Bronze for adventure recs. There's really no limit to the rewards you can end up with, and we're totally happy for you to invent themes or goals to complete. If you get to the end all "Yo where's my Diamond Genfic Genderbender Rec Extraordinaire Reward?", we'll make you one provided we can confirm you've completed the correct amount of recs.
• When you sign up as a special reccer, and when your month begins, you get your own gensploder tag. This stays yours forever, and you can go back and tag your previous posts as well, if you choose to. But to get a tag, you do need to be a Gensploder of the Month at some point.
• At its core, the challenge is really just to rec as many awesome gen fics as you can. Keep in mind this is for the whole month, and you set your own pace, your own minimums and your own goals.
BUT WHAT DO I GET?
The 'rewards' in question will be displayed in a post at the end of your month. You'll get a bigger banner with your dreamwidth username displayed upon it, identifying you as the Gensploder of the Month, and then several smaller icons for each challenge you've successfully completed. We'll even offer up the code of the full post so you can make a Bragging Rights post of your own elsewhere.
NOTE: Banners are currently on hiatus because of weird job situations ozqueen is going through. Until we get another banner volunteer, banner posts are on hiatus. But if you don't care about banners, you can still totally set yourself the Gensploder challenge!
CAN YOU GUYS EVEN MAKE GRAPHICS?
Um. We're open to graphics volunteers. If we get no volunteers to make the bases/templates (which we can then take over for the regular editing of so our poor volunteer doesn't end up with the ongoing job of updating everything), prepare yourselves for PAINT BANNERS, WOOOOO.
|HOW ARE YOU GOING TO KEEP TRACK?|
There are going to be a couple of catches when it comes to earning points, simply because your mods are only human and we're not familiar with every fandom being posted. So:
• Every rec you post will be counted separately, even if you post more than one rec in each post.
• However, each tag on the post will only be counted once. Therefore, if you have two 'found family' fics and you want to earn two 'found family' points, you will need to post your recs in separate posts. You are allowed two separate posts a day, so if you really strive for a diamond badge you can still make it! (We'll allow a day or so leeway if you're really close and you simply run out of time. We're not monsters.)
• Characters will be counted separately - if you post two recs in the same post and both recs feature Harry Potter, you will be awarded two points for his character. It's just the tags on the DW entry we're counting once. (And, don't forget, tags aren't compulsory here, so if you're not interested in the tags you don't have to worry about them anyway.)
|UGH THIS SOUNDS COMPLICATED AND I HAVE MANY QUESTIONS|
It does sound a bit complicated, because the structure is pretty loose. But we're not going to yell at you for not knowing what to do, or for stumbling with your rec momentum. This is a work in progress, and we'll figure out what works and what doesn't as we go along. We are also totally happy for you guys to make suggestions.
Rec what you can, when you can, and we'll be happy. We're all here for good gen fic, and whatever amount you can provide within your month will be appreciated.
SOMEONE ELSE BEAT ME TO A REC
Double-up recs aren't going to get you in trouble. We realise you might prepare your list of recs in advance and then space them out across posts during your month - and in the mean time, someone else might rec a fic you were planning to rec. If you can offer a different review/comment, go for it! If the fic has already been rec'd by yourself, please consider finding something else to rec. (Though, if you really can't help yourself, we won't hold it against you. Some fics really are just that awesome.)
WHAT IF I FORGET I'M THE GENSPLODER OF THE MONTH?
We know - remembering stuff is a drag. If you could all ensure you have notifications turned on for your comments on this post, we will do our best to give you a "HEADS UP!!" comment a few days before your month starts. You need to comment here to sign up, so we'll just respond to it again shortly before your due time, to refresh your memory.
HOW WILL YOU KNOW WHAT CHALLENGES I'M COMPLETING?
The things we're going to look out for are total number of fics, characters listed, numbers of fandoms, and the tags you use. (If you use four 'timey wimey' tags, you'll get a Bronze award for timey wimey fics.) That said, we can miss stuff, so if you're keen to earn a banner for a certain challenge, just let us know what we should keep our eye on. (You can do this in the comments here, or just in a line in your rec post. We should see it either way.)
Don't forget you can make your own tags here, so if you're completing a theme that hasn't yet been seen here, you can just go ahead and start it yourself!
ARE YOU GUYS EVEN SERIOUS I CAN'T DO THIS
Gensploder of the Month isn't compulsory, don't stress! You can just drop in with a rec whenever you want and totally ignore the Gensploder of the Month side of things. Some people like challenges, some don't. You can have it either way here.
I WANT TO GO AGAIN! I WANT TO GO AGAIN!
Once you've completed one month, you are more than welcome to sign up for another.
|SCHEDULE FOR 2014|
April 2014 • ozqueen
May 2014 • mkrobinson • thady
June 2014 • 100demons • espresso_addict
July 2014 • redsnake05 • john_egbert
August 2014 • thady
September 2014 • love_82
October 2014 • lunarwolfik
November 2014 • thady
|SCHEDULE FOR 2015|
January 2015 • isabelquinn
February 2015 • thady
March 2015 • ozqueen
April 2015 • thady • dirty_diana
May 2015 • lost_spook
June 2015 • thady
July 2015 • liadtbunny
September 2015 • thady
October 2015 • liadtbunny
|SCHEDULE FOR 2016|
February 2016 • dirty_diana
March 2016 • ozqueen
May 2016 • mythicmistress
July 2016 • liadtbunny
September 2016 • ozqueen